How to Set Yourself Up for Successful Career as a Woman
As a whole, women in the workforce have made a lot of progress over the last several decades. With that said, women are still under-represented in many industries, and there are still many unique challenges that come with being a female worker. Nonetheless, there are a number of ways you can get ahead as a woman and succeed in your career. Along with taking advantage of job sites like NIjobsearch, here are some other practical ways to travel the road of success.
Do a Self-Assessment
Taking a close look at yourself and your current position can help you determine what steps need to be taken in your career.
- Ask yourself whether or not you are happy doing what you’re doing.
- Ask yourself if your current career path is allowing you to utilize your talents.
- Write out a list of your strengths and weaknesses, and explore ways that you can improve where you need to.
- Determine whether or not your career allows for a healthy work-life balance.
Consider Working From Home
There are more ways to work from home than ever before, and it’s often the most practical path.
- Explore the variety of work-from-home jobs out there, such as online tutoring, customer service, and pet sitting.
- Think about starting your own business, especially if you have an interest or passion that you can make money from.
- Once you begin finding work, designate a workspace, create a routine, and take other steps to stay productive and succeed in the long term.
- Invest in whatever tools and equipment are necessary for efficiently fulfilling your day-to-day tasks.
Be Strategic in the Workplace
Concerning women-specific challenges in the workplace, here are a few things you can do to get and stay ahead:
- Seek help from other women in your industry and/or place of work, especially those who have experienced success themselves.
- Don’t be afraid to state your opinions or desires to your supervisors; be confident yet respectful.
- Advocate for a better work-life balance (e.g., paid leave, flexible scheduling, childcare services, etc).
- Always seek to learn and improve so that you can keep up with the times and remain irreplaceable in the workplace.
Though obstacles still abound for women in the workforce, you can put yourself in a position to succeed by evaluating yourself, considering your work-from-home opportunities, and using a little strategy in the workplace. And most importantly, always be true to yourself, and make sure that you are headed in a direction that allows you to fulfill your purpose!